Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Internship Search

by Jaclyn

I can't believe it's almost February! One semester down. Most of the core courses are behind us. Our groups are just getting into the Consulting Project. And for the first time, in a long while, I'm scanning companies, deciphering job titles, and writing a ton of cover letters. That's right, it's time for...

Internships.

This word has always seemed innocent enough. It's an opportunity to explore a new career, figure out what you want to do, or just as importantly, what you don't want to do. But as innocent as it seems, it's a ton of work. And I do mean a ton. And because of that, I can honestly say the Career Strategies office has been a huge asset for me at BC, and here's why:

Information Sessions - These sessions are with top ranked companies, some of which have included Hasbro, GE, J&J, Liberty Mutual, Fidelity, etc., where internship/employment programs are presented, you can meet employees and recruiting managers, and have any questions answered. I would encourage everyone to go to as many of these as possible, regardless of the area of study, and treat them as professional networking events. Making connections in these sessions can be extremely beneficial later, in the internship AND job search.

Resume/Cover Letters - Leverage the years of experience in this office, as well as the relationships they've already formed with many of these prospective employers. They are more than willing to help ensure you are highlighting your strengths and matching them to the needs of the role and business.

Interview Prep - This would be my #1 recommendation for internship searchers. The insight I have received from my assigned Career Strategy advisor has been invaluable in helping me successfully position myself, in practicing and fine-tuning interview answers, and calming my nerves before each one. If I could schedule these meetings daily, I probably would.

Other Resources - While each student should also be looking outside of the school for internships, reaching out to old colleagues, classmates, and LinkedIn connections, the Career Strategies office can get you started with the internal job board, MBA Focus, and guide you along the way.

There's certainly an art in juggling classes, assignments, group work, and the internship search. But remember, this is probably one of the most important reasons why you're returning to school, so the tools and resources are here to help you succeed.