Tuesday, March 26, 2013

On the Home Stretch...

by Matt

Hey everyone! It's down to the wire here in the MBA program. Five weeks left until the end of our first year, and we're gearing up for summer break and internships. For most first year MBA students, the summer internship is a way to gain some additional insight and experience into their chose field. Luckily for us here at BC, our Career Services office does a great job of bringing in companies to recruit from our program. So instead of hearing more from me today, I wanted to hand it off to some of my classmates and let them tell you about their upcoming experiences for the summer:

Siobhan S. -

This summer I will be interning with Fidelity Investments in Boston in their Financial Leadership Summer Internship Program. I will have the opportunity to work with Fidelity's finance and business leaders, participate in development activities, and learn about Fidelity and Fidelity Finance. The intent is to provide me and the other interns in the program with the necessary exposure, development and training to potentially begin a successful Finance career at Fidelity. Although I don't yet know my assignment for the summer, past assignments have included pricing, product, competitive, cost and business driver analysis. Since my background is in the nonprofit sector, where my roles had elements of finance infused into my day-to-day functions, I am excited - but nervous at the same time - about leveraging the quantitative skills I have developed over the first of the MBA program at Fidelity. I'm looking forward to working on a strategic project that is guaranteed to have an impact on the business and can't wait to show myself how the skills I've learned over the last year will be instrumental in my future professional success.

Peter S.-

Eaton Vance is one of the oldest investment management firms in the United States, dating back to 1924. Eaton Vance and its subsidiaries offer institutions and individuals investment products and wealth management services. In my Summer Role with Eaton Vance's Investment Operations Business Unit, I will primarily be working in the middle and back offices providing functional support to portfolio managers, traders, and portfolio administrators for Eaton Vance’s portfolio and order management systems, monitoring trade affirmation and settlement of market transactions. I will also be working with brokers and custodian banks to resolve trade settlement problems and to identify opportunities to improve transaction processing.

Kelly C. -

This summer, I was able to find two internship opportunities. The first will be an internship with PwC in Boston working in the audit department, focusing on financial services clients. The second will be in Shanghai, China for five weeks working for a start up cookie company. The owner moved to China for her job after graduation, and she found that she really missed American desserts, especially cookies! She decided to start her own cookie company in Shanghai but has no finance or accounting background. I will be responsible for setting up her accounting system, working with her new investors, and creating a framework for her to use after I return to the U.S. I have started to do research for my internship projects, and my education at BC has proven to be extremely valuable already!