Monday, April 29, 2013

The Part-Time, Full-Time Decision

By Jaclyn

For some, only one of these options will be a consideration. But for those of you who may be choosing between the two programs for the MBA, read on...

A QUICK SNAPSHOT:

Full-Time MBA
Evening MBA
Length of Program
2 years
Varies; typically 3-4 years
Credits
56 total
56 total
Number of Students
Approx. 100 students;
Split into cohorts of 50 for Year 1
Approx. 100 students;
Options for Cohort or Self-Paced
Curriculum Requirements
Core courses + 
 specialization (6 electives)
Core courses + 
 concentration (3 electives)
Experiential Learning Components
Year 1: Design Thinking + Consulting Project
Year 2: Business Plan Project
Business Development Workshop
Career Strategies
Access to all career services;
Summer Internship, and opportunity for academic year
Access to all career services
Other Programs Offered
Access to lectures and events, international opportunities, and off-campus excursions
Access to lectures and events, international opportunities, and off-campus excursions

STUDENT PROFILES:

Meet Benjamin, an Evening Student...

1. Why did you decide to get your MBA?

I decided to get my MBA because I knew based on my career trajectory, I would manage people, operations and processes in a relatively short amount of time. The MBA has provided the theoretical knowledge I needed to thrive in a supervisor position when the opportunity was given to me.

2. Why did you choose the Evening program?

I chose the Evening program because, being that I am career young, I wanted to further my educational development while pursuing my career simultaneously. I knew it would take my 3-4 years to complete the program and in that span I would gain valuable full-time work experience.

3. What do you consider the strengths of the Evening program?

In my opinion, one of the greatest strengths of the Evening program is the opportunity to take theories and put them into practice literally the next day. There have been several times, where I learn a new concept or gain insight about a company's best practices and I can relate the idea to my current job and make suggestions for implementation.

Meet Rachael, a Full-Time Student...

1. Why did you decide to get your MBA?

I chose to get my MBA for several reasons. My previous academic experience is in humanities and prior to attending BC, I worked at an international nonprofit. I was therefore eager to complement my nontraditional background with a rigorous business education. Also, I plan to work in brand management following graduation, so as a career switcher an MBA has given me the practical and theoretical tools needed to thrive in a new industry. Finally, I was eager to be in a classroom of peers and professors with diverse backgrounds. I've learned a tremendous amount from class discussions and case analyses, and now have a strong personal and professional network that will last long after graduation.

2. Why did you choose the Full-Time program?

I was eager to be immersed in the business school experience, and felt that it would be a challenge to fully take advantage of the social and academic aspects of the program if I were also juggling a full-time job.

3. What do you consider the strengths of the Full-Time program?

I feel that the greatest strength of being a full-time MBA is that you are fully immersed in the program, which contributes to a rich and holistic understanding of business. For example, topics I learned in a first quarter strategy course have continued to develop in future classes, and being in the program full-time highlights those connections and helps crate a comprehensive understanding of the enterprise. As full-time students, we are also committed primarily to this program, which fosters a sense of camaraderie that will lead to lifelong friendships.

For more information, please visit:
Full-Time: http://www.bc.edu/content/bc/schools/csom/graduate/mba/fulltime.html
Evening: http://www.bc.edu/content/bc/schools/csom/graduate/mba/evening.html