Friday, September 27, 2013

Student Spotlight: Kevin Robar

Kevin Robar, MBA/MSF '14
Name: Kevin Robar

Class: MBA/MSF '14

Undergraduate School: Skidmore College

Previous Career: Restaurant Owner/Financial Advisory

Hometown: East Longmeadow, MA


Why did you decide to pursue the MBA/MSF dual degree?

Before school I had a varied work experience, which consisted of an entrepreneurial venture of starting a restaurant, and most recently I was working as an analyst at a small financial advisory firm. From my experience, I knew I wanted to change careers and begin a career in corporate finance, and I found that an MBA program was the best option to build a skill set that would allow me to do so. I decided to add the MSF degree to further strengthen my skills in finance.


What attracted you to Boston College?

BC is well known as having an expertise in finance and has a great network for someone who wants to begin a career in corporate finance. The small classes provide more direct exposure to professors, and it's in Boston which is a great city. Also, after growing up in Massachusetts, I couldn't move far away from the Bruins.


What has been your favorite class or project so far?

It is hard for me to select my favorite class, but I will have to pick Contemporary Topics in Corporate Reporting with Professor Mark Bradshaw. The class was very interactive and included both academic readings and case studies, atypical of what comes to mind for a corporate reporting course. Overall it was a great learning environment and the interactive format of the course kept the content engaging.


What advice would you give to someone looking to pursue their MBA?

Network, network, network!


Anything else you'd like to add?

The best advice I can give is to keep an open mind. When you begin your MBA, you have a strong idea of what you would like to accomplish during school as well as what you would like in a career. My advice is to listen to as many people as possible to get as varied of an experience as you can during the short period of time you are a student.

No comments:

Post a Comment