Friday, October 11, 2013

Looking Forward

Casey, MBA '15
by Casey

Hello and welcome to my blog! I am excited to share with you all of my upcoming adventures in the MBA program here at Boston College. Although I have only been here a little under two months, I already feel at home. A Home is a place where you feel loved, accepted and can be yourself – and I can honestly say that is how I feel about my new BC community. Everyone from my classmates to the professors to the administrators has welcomed me with open arms!

Who Am I?
I grew up in a suburb of Buffalo, NY, and attended SUNY Geneseo (about an hour away from Buffalo) where I obtained my bachelor’s degree in business administration, with a minor in Spanish. After graduation, I returned to live with my parents and begin the dreaded first job search. The jobs available at that time were slim and so I accepted the first one that came along – a floor sales position with a furniture company. I quickly realized that this was not the job for me and began looking for something else. I visited a friend from college who was living and working in Boston, and she helped get me a job with her employer. Within a span of 4 weeks, I packed up my life in Buffalo and moved to Boston to embark on a new adventure. Boston is an amazing city and I am proud to call it home!

Why MBA?
Getting my MBA has always been a goal of mine, ever since I was an undergrad. Several of my Geneseo classmates were going on to get their MBAs right away, but I knew that I wanted and needed job experience first. An MBA is a seemingly natural progression from a business administration undergraduate degree, and so while I never considered obtaining any other master's degree, for me, it was all about timing. Could I get my employer to pay for my MBA? Should I go part-time or full-time?

Why Now?
For the last six years, I worked at a top 4 accounting firm in downtown Boston, preparing tax returns for international executives. I came in with no prior experience but was able to learn on the job and grow comfortable speaking the language of tax. I grew within the company and was promoted several times during the course of my employment. I was being challenged and the work was interesting, but I knew that I was not passionate about it and sometimes even dreaded the work day ahead of me. I was complacent at my job and fell into a rut. A change was needed! I had set a personal goal of getting my master’s within five years of graduating, but life got in the way. There comes a time and place (and this was true for me) when you can no longer make excuses and just have to make a decision. I realized last November that there is no time like the present! I kicked my MBA grad school application process into high gear so that I could make application deadline cutoffs for the fall start date.

Why BC?
The Carroll School of Management was the only MBA graduate program I applied to - and I'll tell you why. Hands down, it was the strength of their community. Because the MBA program is relatively small, I knew that the community of my classmates would be especially important. Now that I am here I also realize another key factor that I might not have known before attending, and that is that the students are collaborative rather than competitive. Personally, I do not think that I would have thrived in a highly competitive program, and so I am infinitely grateful that this is not one of BC MBA's espoused values or part of its culture. Does everyone want to do their very best and work hard in every class? Of course. But we are not cutting each other down to be the best we can be. Working on teams has really shown us the positives of being collaborative and working together. I know for a fact many of us would not have survived accounting otherwise!

Another part of BC's community is their alumni network. Although I did not know anyone that had graduated from the MBA program here, I knew several other alums from other BC graduate schools and they could not stop raving about BC and their experiences. There seemed to be such pride in being an "Eagle" that I just couldn't wait to be one myself! BC alumni seem to be in every city of every state of the country, and even internationally. The network is HUGE and a great resource for current students and recent graduates. With the support and guidance of this strong alumni network, I knew I could go and do just about anything.

From a purely aesthetic point of view, how could you NOT want to go to school on BC's beautiful campus? Since moving to Boston, BC had been in the back of my mind as the dream campus - the rolling hills, the beautiful buildings, the green quads, all next to the blue waters of the reservoir. When friends came to visit, I would actually take them walking around BC just because I thought it was picturesque.

What Happens Next?
Although I want to cherish these next two years, I know the time will fly by. We are challenged to look forward to what we will do when we leave here. I am excited to discover more about myself - my passions, my abilities, my skills, my weaknesses - and use this information to help direct and steer my career forward. Change is scary and we can dread the unknown, but I am confident that the MBA program here at Boston College will help equip me to be the best 'me' I can be - as corny as that sounds. They truly want me to succeed, even more than I do! I feel blessed for all the opportunities I will have and the doors that will open for me. Can't wait to see what the future holds!

1 comment:

  1. Very insightful! I really appreciate you sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete