Friday, October 25, 2013

Why BC?

by Lauren

I can't believe how quickly the last seven weeks have flown by! I just spent the last week crunching for final exams with my classmates and am relieved that they are finally over!

I'm excited to share my experiences over the next two years with you through this blog. Since this is my first post, let me start by telling you a little bit about myself and how I found myself pursuing an MBA at Boston College.

About Me:
I grew up in a suburb of Boston and went to Colgate University, earning my bachelor's degree in Political Science and History. Not yet ready to return to Boston, I moved to North Carolina (a big move for me!) to work in business development and marketing for an International Development non-profit. Now, you might be wondering, what exactly does that mean? It means I worked for a U.S. Agency for International Development contractor that designed and implemented programs to improve health, education, and governance systems in developing countries.

Raleigh, NC, 
I loved the work of the non-profit, but realized I was also passionate about marketing. So after two years, I made a career switch and started working in the marketing department for a pharmaceutical manufacturer. There, I had my hands in everything from event management, to online advertising, campaign development and other marketing activities.  I was also heavily involved with the National Multiple Sclerosis Society- Greater Carolinas Chapter in my free time. I loved it!


Why an MBA? 
I chose to get an MBA to advance my career. In my last job, I found myself struggling to understand some parts of the business, and realized that if I wanted to run my own department, I needed to have a better understanding of business and management. I saw a gap between where I was and where I wanted to be in my career. I knew an MBA would give me the skills, education and experience to get there more quickly.

Why Boston College?
I chose Boston College for a number of reasons, but the number one reason is the people. I was blown away by the sense of community I felt among the students I met. Everyone was engaging, motivating and had interesting backgrounds. BC is also one of the few schools I looked at that requires MBA students to complete a community service requirement.  Giving back to the community and being a part of the community has always been important to me and something I really enjoy, so I knew that BC would be a good fit for me.
Photo Courtesy of Boston College

The second reason? Boston! It's a great city with tons to see and do. Not only is it a fun city, but also it's the city I see myself ending up in after I graduate, and I wanted a school with strong connections in the Boston community. My family is also in the New England area, and I wanted to be closer to them.

The third reason is that once you're an Eagle, you're always an Eagle. Alumni networks are powerful, and BC has one of the best. It was important to me to be able to tap into an alumni network while I explore internship and job opportunities. While I also see myself ending up in the Boston area, I also wanted to go to a school with national connections, and there are BC alumni groups everywhere!

Great Decision!
It has only been seven weeks, but I already love Boston College! For a small program, there are a lot of events, information sessions, and activities going on. There's no shortage of things to do and resources to take advantage of.  So far, so good!


No comments:

Post a Comment