Monday, June 23, 2014

The Way Ahead

by Khanh

When choosing a graduate program, it is hard, if not impossible, to take the career aspect out of the equation. Unlike undergraduate students, graduate counterparts may carry with them tremendous responsibilities to their families, and figuring out where they would end up after enrolling in a PhD, MBA, MSF or MSA program is a top priority. Fortunately, the Carroll School provides students with a solid preparation not only in terms of the knowledge they acquire, but also necessary skills with which an effective job seeker should be equipped through the dedicated staff in the Career Strategies Office. One-on-one advising, interview preparation, workshops and networking events are constantly available to students.

The arduous process is also supported by the School’s prominent reputation. Every semester, numerous Wall Street bulge brackets, middle-market and top-tier consulting, accounting, and technology firms flock to campus to look for their next batches of bright employees. Credit Suisse, Barclay’s, UBS, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, Deloitte, and State Street are just a few names among the firms that make their annual pilgrimage to Boston College. In fact, in a recent Wall Street Journal article, BC was ranked as a top 10 feeder school to the Asset Management industry.

Delving deeper into my particular story, I was grateful to all the help I received from the Career Strategies team and the vast network of BC alumni. I was able to meet and connect with my future employer at one of the countless information sessions organized and held in the Carroll School. After an initial phone conversation and four back-to-back “Superday-typed” interviews, I finally received an offer from Analysis Group, a Boston-based economic consulting firm, where I will have an opportunity to work with Fortune 500 and top law firms in various litigation cases.

During my preparation for the interviews, I also received tremendous guidance from my career adviser through various resume, cover letter and mock interview sessions. Certainly, the relative small size of the Carroll Graduate School helps with the amount of care the career advisers put into the process. Looking back, I believe the practical knowledge I gained in the MSF Program and the exposure to the dedicated BC alumni network are the decisive factors that helped me through the entire employment process.

No comments:

Post a Comment