Thursday, October 24, 2013

My Summer Internship


by Jaclyn

I wrote in a blog post last year about the student adventure known as The Internship Search. In that post, I spoke to the amount of time that went into resume writing, networking, interviewing, etc., but also to the support that the Career Strategies Office provides in finding a placement that is right for each student’s interests and goals. Which leads me to my summer placement at...


So, I wanted to kick off my posts this year with a recap of my summer at the toy company that has brought us toys like Play-Doh, Mr. Potato Head, Monopoly, Nerf, My Little Pony, and Transformers, to name only a few. The interview process for Hasbro was rigorous, but a very positive experience, mostly because every person I met, from BC alumni to other Hasbro employees, immediately made me feel at home and excited for the summer.

I was recruited to an 11-person class, along with three of my fellow Boston College MBA colleagues. We were provided with our assignments before the summer started, in one of three brand management functions: Global Marketing, Global Product Development, and Regional (US) Marketing. I was placed in a group called Boys New Brand Franchises, which was a start-up size team responsible for identifying opportunities for Hasbro by leveraging existing brands, evaluating incoming entertainment properties or proposing new segments for the Boys portfolio.

In addition to my individual projects, the intern class was challenged with a group assignment: “The Future of Retail.” We researched the limitations of the current retail environment, consumer shopper trends, and upcoming technologies and worked with designers on what a long-term retail strategy might look like for Hasbro. Our intern class had the unique opportunity to present our solution to an audience of 60+, including senior executives. 

The Hasbro internship was also extended through social events, a mentorship program, and roundtable sessions. The roundtable sessions were scheduled every week with representatives from the Executive Team, who each provided insight on career planning, lessons learned, and the direction of the company. The entire intern class really appreciated having this time to personally meet and ask questions of such respected and successful individuals.

If I could share only 3 things about my summer internship at Hasbro, they would be: 1) toys are awesome, and so is working with them, 2) some of the friendliest and smartest people I've ever worked with are at Hasbro, and 3) I still can’t believe how much I accomplished and learned, from my manager, my mentor, and my peers.

For all those currently looking for a summer internship, GOOD LUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment